Annual Basic Safety Training
Hazardous Materials Safety

If your job requires you to handle, work with, or work around any chemicals or other hazardous materials, you must receive training. This training is required at the time of your initial assignment, and whenever a new hazard is introduced into your work area. Your supervisor will provide information about chemical hazards in your area.

Chemicals can enter your body through any of the following common routes.

  • Inhalation - breathing in chemicals, dusts, vapors or mists.
  • Absorption - through skin contact or glove permeation.
  • Ingestion - of contaminated items or chemicals substances.
  • Injection - splinters, punctures, wounds.
Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)

Material Safety Data SheetsIf you work with hazardous chemicals an MSDS must be provided by the manufacturer and be available to you in your work area.

They are informative documents that detail many important characteristics of the chemical and detailed information including: safe handling instructions, precautions for storage and use, and emergency procedures.

The only thing that they do not detail is how to specifically use the chemical; therefore, your supervisor will describe the hazards of the chemicals with which you will be working and provide you with additional training. On-line training is also available and is linked off our web page.

All Hazardous Materials Must Contain a Label

Hazardous Materials Label If a chemical is taken out of its original container, it must be put into a chemically compatible container and labeled with its name and the hazards associated with it.

The hazardous chemical label (shown left) is required whenever a hazardous material is transferred from one container to a secondary container, unless it will be immediately used.

All containers must be labeled to identify their contents. Labels must include the name of the substance, hazards posed, and level of hazard. The scale is from 0-4, 0 being non-hazardous and 4 posing a serious risk.

Food or consumer product containers (unless containing their original material) are not allowed for Hazardous Waste.
Consumer milk container with hazardous waste
Plastic milk jug with unoriginal contents.
Multiple consumer product containers with hazardous waste
Plastic juice and milk containers with unoriginal contents.
Example of proper non-food/non-consumer product container
Example of proper non-food/non-consumer product container.
Chemical Emergencies

When working with chemicals, it's important to recognize the signs of a chemical emergency. Also, it is important to review your Area Specific Emergency Action Plan.

Before using a chemical, make yourself aware of the location of the emergency eyewash and shower, as well as how to use them before you need them.

Never attempt to clean up any chemical spill unless you have the proper training and PPE.

Personal Protective Equipment

Personal Protective Equipment

Some jobs on campus require the use of PPE. This is for your own protection. Examples of PPE include steel-toe boots, hard hats, hearing protection, gloves, eye protection and respirators (use of a respirator requires a medical evaluation and fit testing prior to use).

Supervisors are required to conduct and document a PPE assessment for any task that requires the use of PPE. If you are a supervisor, and you need assistance in conducting your PPE assessments, please feel free to contact our office at 581-4055.

Also, employees that are required to wear PPE must be trained on the limitations of PPE, when PPE is necessary, what PPE is required, and how to use and maintain it. Don't forget to ensure that this training is also documented.

<Previous Page (Previous Module) | Next Page>