The Graduate Student Government (GSG) is pleased to invite nominations from graduate students for the 2013 Mentor Awards for Graduate Faculty. The awards are given each year to outstanding mentors of graduate students in each of the University of Maine’s five colleges: Business, Education and Human Development, Engineering, Liberal Arts and Sciences, and Natural Sciences, Forestry, and Agriculture.
The criteria for an outstanding mentor are:
- Going above and beyond academic and research advising
- Offering time, advice, encouragement, or resources above and beyond expectations
- Aiding graduate students in personal or professional development.
The GSG Mentor Awards for Graduate Faculty is an opportunity to recognize those individuals who make the graduate experience whole. Any faculty member who has assisted you while you have been at the University of Maine is eligible for a Mentor Award. The nominee does not have to be your major advisor.
Graduate students may nominate any mentor within their college for consideration. While only one letter may be submitted per nominator, a faculty member may be nominated multiple times by different students. A complete submission will include:
- A complete nomination_form.
- A one page letter of support detailing specific examples of the nominee going above and beyond to mentor you, improve your experience as a graduate student, or contribute to your personal or professional development.
Packets should be submitted electronically as pdf attachments in a single email to Brianna Hughes, Chair of the Mentor Awards Committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nominations must be received no later than 4:00 p.m. Friday March 1nd, 2013. Late or incomplete nominations will not be accepted.
The five awards will be presented at the Graduate Recognition Ceremony (Hooding Ceremony) on May 10, 2013. The awardees will be presented with award plaques and a membership to the University Club. All nominees will be notified that they have been nominated, but the names of the nominator will remain anonymous. Winners will be announced in early April.
If you have any questions about the Mentor Awards or the nomination process, please contact the Chair.