Helpful Organizations & Services

Helpful Organizations & Services

Other Helpful Organizations & Services

Graduate Student Government

The Graduate Student Government (GSG) is a council of graduate students representing all graduate academic departments on campus. The GSG serves as the liaison between the University of Maine administration and the Graduate Student body. The council meets twice a month to discuss graduate-related issues and update students about upcoming changes and events.


Every semester the GSG sponsors a grant writing competition, allowing students to earn money for research or traveling to academic conferences. Last year a total of $46,000 was awarded. Students can apply for up to $850 for research or travel to present at a conference, or $450 for general travel to a conference.  Contact this year’s grants officer, Thomas Parr, for more information.

Research Exposition

The GSG sponsors an Exposition of Graduate Research every spring semester. Students present work as posters, oral presentations or as artistic pieces. Awards are presented for the best poster or oral presentation in each research area. Contact the Vice President of Graduate Student Government, Robert Hodges, for more information.

Equal Opportunity Office

The Office of Equal Opportunity is responsible for ensuring that the university complies with relevant federal and state equal opportunity laws and regulations and with University of Maine non-discrimination policies.

Upon request, the university will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities.

Questions, concerns, and complaints about discrimination in any area of the university, or about the application of laws and regulations related to equal opportunity and affirmative action should be directed to the Director of

Equal Opportunity, 101 North Stevens Hall, 581-1226. You can obtain more information at

Cutler Health Services

Cutler provides numerous medical and health promotion services to students. Students may visit Cutler for treatment of acute medical problems or injuries, assistance in dealing with chronic illness, or to use one of the many health service clinics. The nurses’ clinic sees walk-in patients and covers topics such as international travel, nutrition, health education, or consultation. The specialty clinic encompasses podiatry, orthopedics, specialized eye care, women’s fitness, massage therapy, and physical therapy by certified athletic trainers and sports medicine physicians. The women’s health clinic provides a range of gynecological services and consultations. The lab handles x-rays, blood tests, and minor surgeries (such as wart removal and ingrown toenails).

The clinical staff includes physicians and physician assistants, nurses and nurse practitioners, pharmacists, athletic trainers, and a registered radiology technologist. Support staff can provide assistance with making appointments and directing students to the appropriate services. Cutler Health Center is now run by EMHS and can accept virtually all insurance plans.

Visit to check Cutler’s hours during the semester and breaks. There are limited summer and holiday hours so make sure to check before you stop by. Cutler accepts walk-ins and the wait is usually only 5-15 minutes, though appointments are usually required for the specialty or women’s clinics. To schedule an appointment for an evaluation or any services, call 581-4000.

Counseling Center

The Counseling Center offers a range of mental health services to University of Maine students, including psychological evaluation, psychotherapy, and psychiatric consults. The Center is staffed by a number of psychologists and psychological interns with experience in helping students deal with such issues as depression, anxiety, and substance abuse. Psychological services are provided without charge to students registered for at least six credits, but there is a charge for psychiatric consultation (which is covered by the student insurance plan). Call 581-1392 to request an appointment or visit for more information.

Computing Resources

Computer Clusters

There are two primary computer clusters on campus that are open to all students: one on the first floor of Fogler Library and two on the first floor of the Memorial Union. The Graduate Center in Stodder Hall has computers that are available for only graduate students.


There are several places to obtain e-mail addresses. UNET (561-3857; provides every student with an e-mail address which is now run through Google.  UMaine IT (Information Technologies) manages the FirstClass service, which provides e-mail, a calendaring system, online conference and discussion groups, and online chatting with other users. Visit for information on setting up your account and to download the FirstClass client to your personal computer.

Computing Help

UNET will assist students with issues related to UNET accounts and UM system-wide networking, such as dialup access. Visit for online help documentation and instructions for contacting UNET consultants. IT maintains a Help Center in 17 Shibles Hall that provides walk-in and telephone technical support for IT services such as FirstClass, software applications IT maintains in its clusters, and disk recovery and anti-virus utilities. Visit, call 581-2506, or e-mail

Purchasing a Computer

The Computer Connection is an on-campus store located on the first floor of the Memorial Union that sells personal computers, peripherals, upgrades, software, and supplies at discounted educational prices. Visit their web site at or call 581-2580 to learn about their inventory and current deals.

Other Useful Stuff

If you have audio-visual needs, IT can supply a wide range of A/V equipment for use on campus. Call 581-2500 if you have questions or want to schedule equipment use. IT also makes available the use of slide shooting and scanning equipment if you need to prepare digital or film slides for a presentation. Contact the IT Help Center for details.

The Collaborative Media Lab, located next to the IT cluster in Fogler Library, has equipment for high-end graphic, video, and audio production, including multimedia, web design, and CD/DVD production. Plan to make an appointment (581-4641) if you need to use this equipment. When it comes time to print your posters, the Collaborative Media Lab and Printing Services (581-3765) have large printers for the job, but again make an appointment and anticipate a 1-2 day wait for the printing.

Career Center

The Career Center assists graduate students in planning for professional careers. Services available include individual career counseling, career information for exploring your options, assistance in identifying potential employers, resume and vita critiques, job search workshops, mock interviews using videotape equipment, job listings, employer information, and assistance with establishing, maintaining, and mailing credential files to potential employers. There is no charge to students for these services, except for a minimal postage and handling fee for credential requests. The Career Center is located on the third floor of the Memorial Union.

Visit their web site at or call 581-1359 for more information.

Office of International Programs

The Office of International Programs (OIP) represents the University of Maine in matters relating to international affairs. The OIP coordinates international program activities, makes recommendations for establishing new programs and initiatives, and maintains liaisons with external public and private institutions, organizations, and agencies to promote the international work of colleges, departments and faculty. The OIP has university responsibility for all student immigration work, and sponsors the J-1 Exchange Visitors program. The OIP advises students on immigration matters and assists international students with personal, academic, and social concerns to ensure a smooth transition to University of Maine life. OIP staff work with the International Student Association to sponsor activities and a weekly coffee hour for international students. The office is located in Winslow Hall, Room 100. Contact them at 581-2905 or visit their web site at for more information.